As New York drew the curtain on another Fashion Week we were left swooning over the Spring-Summer 2014 collections. Even if fashion weeks tend to be all about clothes, models and front rows, we never forget to look down and check out the trendy shoes. From understated elegance to full-on drama, designer shoes are the fashion accessories that make a difference, revamping any look and revealing every woman’s fashion flair and personality.
You might have expected insane or outrageous styles for Spring 2014, but now we know it is not the case. Next season it will be all about wearing strappy sandals (yes, straps were the super-stars of most collections, in every possible width and combination), gladiators and pointy-toe stilettos, and smiling in the spring sun.
Having said that, ladies, meet five covet-worthy styles that will spice up your outfits next season!
1) The chic and feminine strappy sandals will be the true obsession of Spring 2014, as seen on the catwalks of Prabal Gurung (his straps wrap gloriously around the heel!), Proenza Schouler, Derek Lam, Marissa Webb or Band of Outsiders. Ready to be worn with sophisticated crop tops and high-waist skirts, edgy straps will get you ready to stride nonchalantly into spring. From thin or wide to crisscrossing or wrapped around the ankle, this will be the go-to spring style for trendy shoes.
2) Slingback stilettos with a pointy toe are another fashion must and they are going to be literally everywhere. Narciso Rodriguez and Altuzarra made a… point sending on the catwalk fierce and very-sexy-CEO pointy-toe heels, launching even a very slim style to be channelled with a fashionista smile, even if they might not be the most comfortable shoes you have ever trotted in.
3) The chunky heels are probably not the sexiest things in fashion, but they are definitely comfortable. However, you will look pretty cool wearing your chunky mary jane platforms as seen at Alexander Wang, the Art Deco-inspired heels of Herve Leger (paired with a signature bandage dress, ça va sans dire), or the beautifully crafted BGBG Max Azria heels – a mix of modern and retro sophistication.
4) The gladiator-sandals are back with a vengeance, and we simply love their fuss and sexy appeal! From Rebecca Minkoff and Richard Chai to Derek Lam, designers played with this edgy style that will look achingly cool matched with a slip dress (another hit of the next season!) or just with shorts and a plain top.
5) Ladies, give a big hand to mules, as they have never looked sexier! Victoria Beckham kept her minimalist style and sent down the catwalk pointy mules that look comfortable and classy, while Altuzarra opted for the same pointy toe but for sleek, sassy heels that make this style perfect from a.m. until after dark.
One thing is sure: come spring, it will be quite hard to stay away from the shoe department. We will be looking for deals on heels while trying to stay on the right side of the fashion trend. Next year’s trendy shoes look more comfortable than ever, perfectly blending classy femininity with a futuristic touch. Whether you prefer straps, chunky heels or gladiator sandals, next spring you can reveal your true colors with whatever makes you feel amazing. It is all about you looking insanely sexy on high heels!